cicada-english

Conjunction ตอนที่ 5 ( เชื่อมความขัดแย้ง )

00:07



5. เชื่อมความขัดแย้ง

+clause
but , yet , still , however , nevertheless , nonetheless , on the other hand  +clause
though , although , even though , even if  +clause
on the other hand , on the contrary , in contrast , conversely  +clause
while , whereas , where  +clause
rather , instead  +clause

+noun
in spite of , despite , notwithstanding  +noun


But = แต่

I offered him whisky or gin, but he didn't either.
He has some faults but I like him none the less.
He has many acquaintances but few friends.


Yet = อย่างไรก็ตาม , ถึงอย่างนั้น

I don't think they've fully adapted to the working world yet. They still seem like students.

However = อย่างไรก็ตาม , ถึงแม้ว่า

We concluded, however that the price of 5,000,000 yen was too high.
Managers like Paula Grayson, however, are trying to persuade them to change their habits.

nevertheless = แต่อย่างไรก็ตาม

We thought it would rain; nevertheless, we started on our trip.
I was very tired, but I was nevertheless unable to sleep.
I am tired, nevertheless, I must finish my homework.

nonetheless = อย่างไรก็ตาม , ถึงกระนั้น

You may not believe it, but it is nonetheless true.
He'd had no experience of teaching but he plunged in nonetheless.

on the other hand  = ในทางกลับกัน

That job was not very interesting, but on the other hand it was well paid.
It is cheap, but on the other hand it is not good.
On the one hand he praised my report, but on the other hand he criticized it.
ส่วนใหญ่จะตามหลัง but

though = แต่

Tom lost his cap, and he though he must by one.
Being very rich, he thought he could do anything.
Hiromi decided to risk bungee-jumping, even though he was scared.

although  = ถึงแม้ว่า

The child had no overcoat on although it was very cold.
He managed to pass his driving test although he was a poor driver.
The boy opened the window, although his mother told him not to.

even though = ทั้งๆที่ , ถึงแม้ว่า

Paul didn't become arrogant even though he was rich.
The chocolate cake tempted her even though she was dieting.
Hiromi decided to risk bungee-jumping, even though he was scared.

even if  = แม้ว่า 

It is useless even if I discuss with you.
You must do the work even if you don't like it.
They won't believe me even if I swear it is true.

in spite of = ทั้งๆที่

Mary kept on working in spite of her illness.
They started in spite of the heavy rain.
I saw the sight and laughed in spite of myself.
He shivered a little in spite of himself.

despite = ทั้งๆที่

I love him despite his faults.
We pushed ahead despite the obstacles.
He feels happy despite of his failure.

notwithstanding  = อย่างไรก็ตาม

He failed notwithstanding my advice.
She accepted our offer notwithstanding.

on the other hand = ในทางตรงข้าม

That job was not very interesting, but on the other hand it was well paid.
On the one hand he praised my report, but on the other hand he criticized it.
On the one hand he praised my report, but on the other hand he criticized it.

on the contrary = ในทางตรงกันข้าม 

You think I have nothing to do; but on the contrary, I am very busy.
It isn't true that Jack is no good at music : on the contrary, he plays the piano well.
You are young. I, on the contrary, am very old.

in contrast 

The picture is colorful in contrast with this one.
He looked quite happy in contrast with those around him.
She seemed happy in contrast to the man.

conversely = โดยตรงกันข้าม,โดยกลับกัน 

whereas = ในทางตรงกันข้าม (ใช้เปรียบเทียบ)

I am poor, whereas my brothers are very rich.
A stop sign in Japan has 3 sides, whereas a stop sign in the U.S. has 8 sides.

where =ในทางตรงกันข้าม

rather = แทนที่


instead  = แทนที่ 


I will go to see him instead of you.
Only five instead of ten units were delivered.



You Might Also Like

0 ความคิดเห็น